By Kaitlyn Ersek on Apr 2, 2021 3:02:03 PM
One of the biggest advantages of working at Holganix is that you can learn from hundreds of lawn care companies and take note of best practices in the industry.
In this blog, we compiled 7.5 of our favorite growth hacks used by lawn care companies in America and Canada. From sales hacks to production efficiencies to hiring best practices, we’ll dive into a myriad of helpful lawn and landscape business tips.
Keep reading for the full article or click the link below to select a growth hack that interests you!
- Transforming your business by being remarkable
- Creating a rock-solid referral program
- Utilizing goal directed management
- Implementing topgrading and training
- Building a tracking system for goals
- Making drive time a priority
- Implementing influence communication
- Getting results
Please note, this blog includes videos. If you are reading this blog via email, click here to access the videos.
1. Transforming Your Business by Being Remarkable; Becoming a Purple Cow
According to marketing guru, Seth Godin, “The key to success is to find a way to stand out. To be the purple cow in a field of monochrome Holsteins.”
The average person in the United States sees 2.5 cows per day. Cows are boring; even when seeing cows, you don’t notice them. However, if you saw a purple cow, not only would you take notice, but you would make a remark about it to your friends.
To consumers, lawn care companies are often boring, black and white cows. They all look, sound and act the same. How can you become a purple cow in your market?
Watch the 6-minute video above to learn more the purple cow philosophy.
2. Creating a Rock-Solid Referral Program
One of the easiest and most profitable ways to grow any business is to create a rock-solid referral program.
By referring your company to their friends, your customers strengthen their ties to your business. Plus, the act of running a referral program is often cheaper than paying for other marketing campaigns like advertising and direct mail.
Watch the 7-minute video above for tips on creating a rock-solid referral program.
3. Utilizing Goal-Directed Management
Goal-directed management allows you to run efficient and effective teams utilizing three core tactics:
- Create clearly defined goals – Create individual goals with each employee. Each goal should be designed with that individual employee to ensure they are enrolled in the success of that goal.
- Provide direction and resources for all employees to ensure your employees have the means to complete their agreed upon goals.
- Build a system of accountability – Work with your employee to decide how to create accountability around their goal. In other words, consider how to track the goal, how frequently you should meet about it, and decide what happens if a goal is met or missed.
Watch the 6-minute video above to learn more about utilizing goal-directed management at your company.
4. Implementing Topgrading and Training
According to author and business guru, Geoff Smart, Topgrading models seek to “fill every position in an organization with a A player (at the appropriate compensation level) by hiring A players, developing B players into A players and developing C players into B players or into a different career path.”
What is an A player? A players have mastered their job. They are self-directed, and provide consistent, excellent results. They are often peer leaders and will seek to contribute beyond their job description.
Watch the 6-minute video above to learn more about how to implement Topgrading in your business and for training tips to build A players at your business.
5. Building a Tracking System for Goals
As the saying goes, if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it. Develop SMART Goals that are measurable on a team and individual level and ensure those goals are measurable. SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Accountable, Relevant and Time-based.
Tracking goals not only assigns individual accountability, but also improves the overall performance of the team.
Watch the 2-minute video above for tactics on creating a tracking system at your company.
6. Making Drive Time a Priority
The time spent in a truck and not on lawns is one of the biggest “money suckers” in a lawn care business. Ensure your “drive time” or that time spent driving from one customer to the next is as short as possible. Consider using lawn care software like Real Green or a simple dry-erase board to track your average drive time and to build route density.
Further, as you look for sales, ensure you are selling prospects in an area that makes sense from a driving perspective.
Developing route density is crucial to developing a profitable lawn care business.
Watch the 3-minute video above to learn more about tips on reducing drive time.
7. Implementing “Influence” Communication
Encouraging your prospects to take an action – whether that is to sign up for a quote, download a tool or purchase services – comes down to utilizing six communication tactics developed by business guru and author, Robert Cialdini.
Those six tactics are:
- Consistency – Be consistent in your messaging and promises based on what was stated to prospects in the past.
- Consensus – Show prospects that others like them have already acted on your offer.
- Authority – Prove to prospects that you are an expert in your field.
- Similarity – Demonstrate how you are like your prospect. After all, people like others that remind them of themselves.
- Reciprocity – Give back to your prospect in some way to encourage them to reciprocate. For example, you could provide special knowledge or a special offer to your prospect.
- Scarcity – Create something that is rare, or a limited time offer.
Watch the 4-minute video above to learn more about the six tactics of influence.
7.5. Getting Results
Holganix Bio 800+ allows you to provide superior results while reducing your environmental footprint. Marketing your ability to provide a sustainable service while still providing superior results is one easy way you can differentiate your business from the competition.
Holganix Bio 800+ harnesses the power of over 800 species of beneficial soil microbes to:
- Reduce inputs including fertilizers, pesticides, and water
- Increase the plant's tolerance of stress from weather, disease and traffic
- Stimulate healthy foliage and root growth
- Develop soil health
Watch the 9-minute video above to learn more about how to get results from your results.
Looking to Grow Your Lawn Care Company? Access Holganix Marketing Support
At Holganix, one of our core values is sustainable growth - the growth of roots, minds and businesses - your business. In honor of that core value, we created Holganix University an area of our website devoted to helping you grow. We provide powerful marketing and educational materials for lawn and landscape companies using Holganix products.
Click the button below to access our marketing support tools.