By Nicole Wise on Jan 11, 2012 12:51:00 PM
Marketing Hints and Tips
Why Going Organic Will Help Grow Your Lawn Care Business
If you are sick of hearing about the green movement it’s best to get over it now, because it’s not going away anytime soon. Organic fertilizers and bio nutrient products in the lawn care world are the next step in our evolution as an industry. Adapting to the growing green movement will keep your company alive and thriving. Going organic will help you stay up to date with trends, legislation and will keep you away from volatile oil prices. It also allows you to be more marketable in the green movement- giving you a competitive advantage and will help reduce the negative externalities of your success (such as nitrate and phosphate run off).
Some of the ways going organic can help you grow your business is:
1. Going organic is marketable. The green movement is more popular then ever. People want to help the earth and still help their lawns. Going green will help you reel in new customers that wouldn't touch chemical fertilizers and will maintain your preexisting green conscious customers.
2. Going organic gives you a competitive advantage. Like I said above, people want to go green. If you supply organic options you will gain a competitive edge over the rest of your industry.
3. Going organic helps the environment. Although helping the environment doesn’t necessarily help grow your businesses it is important to think about. Chemical fertilizers are damaging our waters because of nitrate and phosphate run off. By going organic, we help limit the negative externalities that comes with the success of our industry
(Chart taken from http://nofishleft.wordpress.com; above picture representing the difference between a dead zone and healthy water from http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzon)
4. Going organic helps you avoid volatile oil prices. In 2011, gas prices reached $4 a gallon. As chemical fertilizer users, you understand that chemical fertilizer prices ride on the coat tails of oil. If you go organic you avoid the volatile prices and help gain a profit when oil increases.
(Prices of fertilizer from February 2007 to February 2011 and taken from World Bank commodity price indices http://www.mongabay.com/images/commodities/charts/chart-index_fertilizers.html)
5. Going organic helps you avoid strict legislation. Today, The United States has declared war on nitrate and phosphate run off. State laws and President Obama's ambitious environmental goals are about to give chemical fertilizer users a run for their money. Change now while you still have the chance and ensure that you survive.