There’s been a lot of buzz around the word hemp in the agriculture space. And, with 78,176 acres planted in 2018 why wouldn’t there be buzz? Not to be confused with marijuana, hemp is of a different variety of Cannabis sativa. It’s harvested for its fiber to create specialty textiles, paper and composites and for its seed which is used in food or crushed for oil.
In this blog, we explore (1) 6 reasons why hemp is considered a sustainable product, and (2) how Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub empowers hemp farmers to grow healthier crops with increased yields.
Hemp A Sustainable Product?
There’s a lot of reasons why farmers and consumers are excited about the future of hemp, but one big reason is that hemp is considered a sustainable product. Here are just 6 reasons why hemp is sustainable.
1. Fewer pesticides needed - The densely growing plant literally chokes out competing plants which means pesticides can be reduced and at times eliminated. Plus it’s naturally resistant to many pests.
2. Less water required - When comparing the crop to cotton, hemp requires less water per season than cotton.
3. Less land needed - Not only does hemp grow in a variety of climates and soil tights, it’s also grown close together, decreasing land use.
4. Possibly remediates soils - Using a process called phytoremediation, hemp was used at Chernobyl to extract pollutants from the soil and groundwater.
5. Possible replacement to concrete when making buildings - “Hempcrete” is hemp fiber mixed with lime to create insulation, pressboard, flooring and wall construction. It’s energy-efficient and resistant to mold, insects and fire.
6. Possible replacement to wood-based paper and plastics - The U.S. has a history of using hemp-based paper products and hemp-based plastic. In fact, Benjamin Franklin famously manufactured hemp-based papers at his printing mill. And, in 1941 Henry Ford created a plastic car that ran on hemp and whose fenders were made of hemp. Ford had a plan to “grow automobiles from the soil.”
How Can Holganix Bio 800+ Help?
Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub harnesses the power of over 800 species of soil microbes to deliver increased soil health, yield, root architecture, improved stress tolerance against weather and optimized nutrient use. It’s an organic solution and contains an entire microbiome or community of soil microbes that is both abundant and diverse.
We’ve been working select growers in the midwest and the northwest. In Colorado, grower Alec reports that “After using Holganix Bio 800+ on our clones during root-in, our clone losses are now less than 1%”. And, in Oklahoma, grower T.B. reports “We have increased our yield and harvested more CBD per square foot.”
How Does Holganix Bio 800+ Work?
Unlike other plant probiotics, Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub contains an entire microbiome or community of organisms that is both abundant and diverse. In a single jug of Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub, there are more than 800 species of living beneficial organisms, microbe food and nutrient enhancers.
Some of the soil microbes contained in Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub include both Endo and Ectophytic Bacteria, Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria, Plant Growth-Promoting Bacteria, Endo and Ecto Mycorrrhizae, Trichoderma Fungi, Penicillium Fungi, Beneficial Nematodes and Protozoa.
Working together, the microbes in Holganix 800+ Tree & Shrub unlock nutrients already present in the soil and optimize the uptake of nutrients you apply, maximizing nutrient efficiency and minimizing loss.
How Do You Use Holganix Bio 800+ Tree & Shrub for Hemp Production?
See the table below for our general recommendations. To speak with a Holganix specialist about a program that fits your operation, please call 866-56-EARTH.
Want to Dig In Deeper?
Explore our list of resources for additional exploration.